Effects of Technology on the Natural World
Many of engineering and technology’s impacts on society and the environment are widely regarded as desirable. However, other impacts are regarded as less desirable. Effects of Technology on the Natural World concerns the positive and negative ways that technologies affect the natural world.
By the end of grade 2
The use of technology developed for the human designed world can affect the environment, including land, water, air, plants, and animals.
• Technologies that use natural sources can have negative effects on the environment, its quality, and inhabitants.
• Reusing and recycling materials can save money while preserving natural resources and avoiding damage to the environment.
By the end of grade 5
The technology developed for the human designed world can have unintended consequences for the environment.
• Technology must be continually developed and made more efficient to reduce the need for nonrenewable resources.
By the end of grade 8
Resources need to be utilized wisely to have positive effects on the environment and society.
• Some technological decisions involve trade-offs between environmental and economic needs, while others have positive effects for both the economy and environment.
By the end of grade 12
Development and modification of any technological system needs to take into account how the operation of the system will affect natural resources and ecosystems.
• Impacts of technological systems on the environment need to be monitored and must inform decision-making.
• Many technologies have been designed to have a positive impact on the environment and to monitor environ